Sunday, November 10, 2013

Mrs Dash Chili

I love the new Mrs Dash seasoning packets.  This week we had Chili using it.  The mix itself has no sodium in it but when you add the other ingredients, it comes out to about 135 mg of sodium per 1 cup serving. 

It calls for 1 packet Mrs Dash Chili Seasoning Mix
1 lb ground beef or turkey
2 8 ounce tomato sauce or 14.5 ounce whole tomatoes  *
1 15 ounce can kidney beans, undrained **
Brown beef or turkey, drain fat. 
Stir in seasoning mix, tomato sauce or whole tomatoes, and beans.
Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. 

*I used no salt added tomato sauce
**I used low sodium pinto beans

We also like a little bit of a tang in our chili so I added a little bit of my homemade barbecue sauce that I had left over.   My whole family liked it, which is no small feat.  I doubled the recipe and it was gone within 2 days. 

Just a word about finding these mixes.  They are new so the stores are slowly getting them in.  I have found the chili seasoning at Publix and Winn Dixie.  If you can't find them in your area,  the Healthy Heart Market sells them and right now they have a $5 off your first order promotion.    I'm still trying to find a few of the mixes locally and if they don't get them soon,  I'll be ordering them online. 

No comments:

Post a Comment