Friday, November 1, 2013

Bread and Sandwiches

I've found some good low salt alternatives to regular bread that I wanted to share here.     Most bread has quite a bit of sodium in it.   I make my own rolls and bread and I'm going to try to experiment with my recipe and see how it comes out without salt but I haven't done that yet.  But, I have made a couple of finds in the grocery store.

Food for Life Baking Company makes a ZERO sodium bread and it tastes pretty good.  It's a sprouted grain bread and so it's not soft and white like most bread, but it makes a good sandwich and tastes pretty good.  
I found this bread in the freezer section of Publix supermarket.  They have a store finder on their website in case you don't live near a Publix.    There is low sodium and there is no sodium and I love it that I can have a sandwich and the bread doesn't add any sodium to it.


Speaking of sandwiches,  cold meats can have a ton of sodium in them.  Boars Head has a line of cold meats that are lower in sodium.  My favorite is the Low Sodium Roast Beef that has just 80 mg of sodium per 2 ounces.  They also have a no salt added roast beef that has just 40 mg sodium per 2 ounces but they don't carry it at the Publix I go to.   They also have Lacy Swiss cheese with 35 mg sodium per ounce.and it's very good.    Sometimes when we grill, my wonderful husband will take the roast beef in a grilling basket and smoke it for me and boy is that ever good!!!

Another find in the bread category is Arnold Sandwich Thins that you can find in most any store.  I have gotten these in white, rye and honey wheat and all were very good.  They also have 100% wheat, flax and fiber and multigrain, but I haven't tried them yet.  Each Sandwich Thin has 170 mg sodium and they work great for sandwiches or for hamburger rolls.

If you like bagels, Western Bagel Company makes the Alternative Bagels, which are really good.   Once again,  I get them from Publix, but you can also buy them online.  They make them in Plain, Roasted Onion, Wheat, Blueberry and Cinnamon Spice and all are very good.   Each bagel has 180 mg of sodium. 

Finally, Thomas Bakery makes Triple Health English Muffins that are awesome.  Each muffin has 130 mg of sodium and they taste every bit as good as the higher sodium ones.   Here, they carry them in Publix and in Walmart.    They have a product locator on their site as well. 

Speaking of those English Muffins,  I found one of the neatest gadgets ever.  I got mine at Target, but they have them pretty much everywhere.  It's the Hamilton Beach Breakfast Sandwich Maker that you can use to make your very own Egg McMuffins. 

I use my Triple Health muffins (130 mg) and I have some bacon that is 70 mg per slice that I use instead of the higher sodium ham and Canadian bacon.  I add a slice of cheese.  Sometimes I use the Swiss Cheese and sometimes I use a Colby/Jack mix (120 mg) or Cracker Barrel White Cheddar Slices (110 mg).  And add the egg, seasoned with Mrs Dash and you can have a very good breakfast or lunch sandwich. 

Keep in mind that a whole egg has 70 mg of sodium but the yolk has just 8 mg of sodium.  So, if you use 2 yolks instead of a whole egg, you can save 54 mg of sodium.  

1.  Muffin, 2 yolks, swiss cheese, bacon = 251 mg
2.  Muffin, 2 yolks, white cheddar, bacon = 326 mg
3.  Muffin,  2 yolks, colby/jack, bacon = 336 mg
4.  Muffin,  whole egg, white cheddar, bacon = 380 mg

Just to give you an idea of the combinations you can make.  You can also use the Alternative Bagels for the bread in the sandwiches and they work well, but are a bit higher in sodium.  I love these sandwiches and my kids also love them.  I can use the Canadian Bacon or ham in theirs and they make a nice quick breakfast that they can sit and eat or grab and eat on the way to school. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for all this low sodium info.

    ReplyDelete