Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Tacos - A Success Story

My family loves taco night.  I was afraid that this would have to be one of those nights where I would make the taco fixings for them and then eat something else.  But then a wonderful thing happened.  Mrs Dash came out with some great mixes, including a taco mix, that have no sodium in them. 

These mixes are new and so it took awhile to find them.   In my area, Publix, Winn Dixie, and Walmart are supposed to carry them.  The first one to show up was the Chili at Publix.  Then, I found the meatloaf one at a Winn Dixie.  Finally at a different Winn Dixie, I found the Taco, Beef Stew, Meatloaf, and Chili mixes.

This was my first chance to try the taco seasoning.   The Mrs Dash taco seasoning was a bit warmer than the one I had been using that has 280 mg of sodium per serving.   I've never been very big on spicy or hot foods but since my heart failure,  I'm getting a bit more used to it since it seems that many of the spice blends replace salt with heat. My family, however, for the most part love things a little heated.  This taco mix got the stamp of approval from my family, who told me that I could make these tacos from now on.   I love Mrs Dash.  

The next challenge was to find low sodium taco shells and I was surprised to find that the Taco Bell brand on the shelves have just 5 mg of sodium per shell. 

So, I was able to have 3 tacos for dinner with very little sodium. 
3 shells  15 mg
Meat mixture  80 mg
lettuce  0 mg
cheese 170 mg
For a grand total of 265 mg of sodium for a very satisfying dinner.  And, best of all, I got to eat the same thing that the family was eating.  I love these little wins.  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome...I will be putting these items on my grocery list! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete