Thursday, October 31, 2013

How Much Sodium?

When I was diagnosed with CHF,  the doctor told me that I would have to limit my sodium to 2000 mg or less.   At first I stayed at around 2000 mg a day and noticed that I was still retaining water because my ankles were swelling.   So, I cut back on the sodium even more. 

Through experimentation, I've come to the conclusion that any more than 1200 mg a day and I start to retain water again.   I usually keep my sodium down less than 1000 mg a day and rarely go past 1200 mg daily.  I have read stories from others who have to stay around 500-700 mg.  Each person's system is different.

The 2000 mg that your doctor gives out as a guideline is just that, a guideline.   You have to find the level where your body is comfortable.   For me, that is trying to stay under 1000 mg of sodium a day.  At that level,  I can keep the swelling and fluid retention at bay. 

To stay that low and eat 3 meals a day,  you have to look at the sodium in every item you eat and count every milligram.   I have had to rethink snacking, processed foods, drinking, and everything I eat.  Where one time I wouldn't think twice about popping a handful of potato chips in my mouth for a snack,  now those chips would take up a significant part of my daily allowance of sodium and they just aren't that important to me.  Fruit is a much more satisfying snack. 

At first, nothing tasted good without salt.  But finally,  after 5 months, I am finally tasting the flavors of the foods that I am eating and not missing the salt near as much.   Mrs Dash has become my best friend.   I'm able to eat 3 good meals a day and snack in between and even eat some restaurant food and stay under my 1000 mg of sodium a day.  It's become a challenge to me and I never back down from a challenge. 

I'm hoping that my blog will maybe help someone who is struggling with having to limit their sodium intake and can take some inspiration from my discoveries in low salt eating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment